Useful link: How to start a business in Texas
Governor’s Small Business Handbook
Texas Corporate Name Endings
* The name must contain the word “corporation”, “company” or “incorporated”, or abbreviation thereof. The name must not imply purpose other than that stated in articles of incorporation. The name may not be the same as, or deceptively similar to, the name of any domestic or foreign corporation, or any reserved or registered name. The name may not contain the word “Lottery.” However, a name already in use may be used if the corporation or LLC gets written consent from the user filed with secretary of state.
Articles of Incorporation Requirements
- Minimum Number – One or more.
- Residence Requirements. – No provision.
- Age Requirements – Eighteen or older.
- Directors are required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- No extra filing fees based on number of share or amount of par value.
- Must complete and file the franchise tax below.
Income Tax Rate
- The franchise tax is computed at the rate of: (1) .25% of net taxable capital and (2) 4.5% of net taxable earned surplus. If amount computed under either part of the basis formula is zero or less, the amount is computed as zero. If the amount of tax computed is less than $100, the corporation is not required to pay such amount and is not considered to owe any franchise tax for the period.
For more information on taxes, visit www.window.state.tx.us/m23taxes.html
- Shareholders have limited liability protection
- May be listed and traded as a publiccorporation on the stock market or “over the counter”
- Has a separate and independent tax status from its owners
- Profits are not subject to “double taxation”
- Corporate losses may be “passed through” to share holders
- Shareholders are afforded the same protection as C Corp.
- Contains characteristics of both corporation and partnership
- Shareholders may take advantage of “Pass-Through” taxation
- Limited liability for share holders
Not for profit corp
- Eligible for tax-exempt status
- Limited Liability protection
- Qualify for public and private gains