Corporate Name Endings
* The name must contain the word “corporation,” “company,” “incorporated,” or “limited,” or an abbreviation. The name shall not be same as or deceptively similar to name of domestic corporation or authorized foreign corporation, or to reserved name.
Articles of Incorporation Requirements
- Minimum Number – One or more.
- Residence Requirements. – No provision.
- Age Requirements – None.
- Directors are required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- An increase in shares or par value does not effect initial fees.
- Corporations must file reports with the Mayor by April 15 of the year after its incorporation and on or before April 15 of each second year thereafter. The biannual report fee is $200.
Income Tax Rate
- The state tax rate is 9.5%. Effective for tax periods beginning after September 1994, a 2.5% corporation franchise (income) surtax is imposed in addition to the existing 2.5% surtax of normal tax (above). Minimum tax is $100.
- Shareholders have limited liability protection
- May be listed and traded as a publiccorporation on the stock market or “over the counter”
- Has a separate and independent tax status from its owners
- Profits are not subject to “double taxation”
- Corporate losses may be “passed through” to share holders
- Shareholders are afforded the same protection as C Corp.
- Contains characteristics of both corporation and partnership
- Shareholders may take advantage of “Pass-Through” taxation
- Limited liability for share holders
Not for profit corp
- Eligible for tax-exempt status
- Limited Liability protection
- Qualify for public and private gains