Corporate Name Endings
* The name may not be the same as or descriptively similar to name of any domestic or qualified foreign corporation or to any reserved or registered name or the name of any limited partnership unless consent is obtained. The name must contain the word “corporation,” “company,” “incorporated,” “limited” or an abbreviation thereof. The name must not imply that it is organized for any purpose other than that stated in articles of incorporation. The name may not be same as, or deceptively similar to, a name in use by other domestic corporation or authorized foreign corporation in South Dakota.
Articles of Incorporation Requirements
- Minimum Number – One or more.
- Residence Requirements. – No provision.
- Age Requirements – 18 or older.
- Directors are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- An increase in the shares may cause an increase in the initial filing fee.
- To Secretary of State by the 1st day of the 2d month following the anniversary month of the corporation each year. Fee for filing report is $25.
Income Tax Rate
For more information on taxes, visit www.state.sd.us/revenue/revenue.html
- Shareholders have limited liability protection
- May be listed and traded as a publiccorporation on the stock market or “over the counter”
- Has a separate and independent tax status from its owners
- Profits are not subject to “double taxation”
- Corporate losses may be “passed through” to share holders
- Shareholders are afforded the same protection as C Corp.
- Contains characteristics of both corporation and partnership
- Shareholders may take advantage of “Pass-Through” taxation
- Limited liability for share holders
Not for profit corp
- Eligible for tax-exempt status
- Limited Liability protection
- Qualify for public and private gains