Corporate Name Endings
* The name shall not be deceptively similar to name of any other domestic corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or limited liability company or of any foreign corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or limited liability company authorized to do business in state unless: (1) such other corporation is about to change its name, cease business, dissolve or withdraw, and (2) written consent therefrom is obtained. The name shall contain the word “corporation,” “incorporated,” or “limited,” or the abbreviation of one or more of these words or shall contain the word “company” or the abbreviation “Co.,” if that word or abbreviation is not immediately preceded by word “and” or character “&”.
Articles of Incorporation Requirements
- Minimum Number – One or more.
- Residence Requirements. – No provision.
- Age Requirements – None.
- Directors are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- An increase in shares or par value does not effect initial fees.
- The minimum annual license fee is $40. The corporation must pay the annual license fee by May 15 of each year.
Income Tax Rate
- Income tax rate is 9.8% of taxable income.
For more information on taxes, visit www.taxes.state.mn.us
- Shareholders have limited liability protection
- May be listed and traded as a publiccorporation on the stock market or “over the counter”
- Has a separate and independent tax status from its owners
- Profits are not subject to “double taxation”
- Corporate losses may be “passed through” to share holders
- Shareholders are afforded the same protection as C Corp.
- Contains characteristics of both corporation and partnership
- Shareholders may take advantage of “Pass-Through” taxation
- Limited liability for share holders
Not for profit corp
- Eligible for tax-exempt status
- Limited Liability protection
- Qualify for public and private gains