Corporate Name Requirements
* The name must use word “corporation,” “company”, “incorporated”, or “limited” or an abbreviation thereof. The name must not be deceptively similar to any domestic or foreign corporation authorized to do business in state, or limited partnership of foreign limited partnership or reserved or registered name unless written consent is obtained from holder of such name. The name may not contain any word that implies the corporation was formed for a purpose for which it is not organized.
Articles of Incorporation Requirements
- Minimum Number – One or more.
- Residence Requirements. – No provision.
- Age Requirements – None.
- Directors are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- The officers are not required to be listed in the articles of incorporation.
- An increase in the shares may cause an increase in the initial filing fee.
- Must be filed with the State between January 1 and March 1, except that the first annual report of a corporation must be filed between January 1 and March 1 of the next year succeeding the calendar year in which its certificates of incorporation or authority was issued. Filing fee of $50 must accompany report.
Income Tax Rate
- 7% of net income. Minimum tax, $500
For more information on Rhode Island business tax, go to Rhode Island Division of Taxation
- Shareholders have limited liability protection
- May be listed and traded as a publiccorporation on the stock market or “over the counter”
- Has a separate and independent tax status from its owners
- Profits are not subject to “double taxation”
- Corporate losses may be “passed through” to share holders
- Shareholders are afforded the same protection as C Corp.
- Contains characteristics of both corporation and partnership
- Shareholders may take advantage of “Pass-Through” taxation
- Limited liability for share holders
Not for profit corp
- Eligible for tax-exempt status
- Limited Liability protection
- Qualify for public and private gains