Setting up a Real Estate Brokerage in New York

Incorporating a real estate brokerage or agency, like an insurance brokerage/agency, is not as simple or straight forward as, say, a restaurant. First the proposed names of the corporation must be submitted to the Bureau of Licensing services in writing. After receiving their written consent, then a certificate of incorporation or articles of formation can be filed with the Secretary of State to form a corporation or LLC respectively. After the company is formed, then you need to file a copy of the certificate/articles along with the application for the brokerage/agency license. Simple, right?